Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Assessment activity #8 & 9

I'm not sure that I used citations correctly in my ethnography, mainly because most of my facts came from an interview. I've never used an interview in a paper before so I wasn't sure if I should include him by name or if I should leave it as my anonymous friend. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I addressed him by name for a paper like this plus I didn't know how exactly to cite this since I didn't write down the interview word for word. However, I used this to support my own analysis of the Mormon religion since it was first-hand experience. Basically the citation should have written the paper more than my opinion of the religion and that's what I tried to do.

Citations are facts from people who are professionals and have done heavy research into the field you're writing for. Formal citations are facts that support an opinion that you're trying to argue or prove within a paper. Arguments can be created or destroyed based on what citation you use. One source might completely support your opinion while another might find all the weak points and tear your argument wide open. Making sure you use these correctly determines the impact an argument has.

No comments: